The Republic of Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) held a bilateral meeting on the promotion of cross border trade from 2nd to 4th May 2019 at Rock Classic Hotel in Tororo Municipality. The meeting was held under the auspices of the Great Lakes Trade Facilitation (GLTF) Project which the two countries are implementing with funds from the World Bank. The bilateral meeting was attended by officials from Ministries responsible for Trade from both countries, officials from the borders implementing the project and officials from trade facilitation Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).The meeting discussed trade facilitation issues and agreed upon the framework needed to address the challenges affecting trade at their borders. The key areas of concern were:
- Cross Border Trade,
- Customs Cooperation,
- Cooperation on Immigration,
- Agriculture and SPS measures,
- Harmonization of Standards,
- Sharing of information, among others.
One of the resolutions of the meeting was that Uganda shall convene meetings of immigration authorities to discuss further immigration issues
It is against this background that a bilateral meeting has been organized between the immigration bodies from both countries. The border officers from the implementing borders and the national / regional headquarters shall participate in these meetings. Some officials from the Ministry of Trade and Project Implementation Unit shall as well participate in these meetings.
Objective of the meeting
The objective of this meeting are:
- Discuss all critical immigration issues impacting cross border trade such as harmonized and simplified travel document for small scale traders, harmonized visa fees and duration; and come up with practical solutions to address the challenges
- Signing of Memoranda of Understanding on Immigration between the two Countries
The Meeting is from 23rd to 25th October 2019